Get to know the main creative venues of Bangkok Design Week 2020
Why there – where – how about these 4 latest Bangkok’s creative districts?Decades ago, it was the prime residential area for government officials when we’re talking about Ari-Pradipat. Some might spot it as tourists’ hotel location not far away from the airport; Don Mueang, some mentioned how this old business district had been prosperous compared to department stores these days. Once a mass transit railway; BTS, linked up the area, the accessibility of Ari-Pradipat has drawn changes to the uses of district, followed by challenges, luxury branded condos and renovated boutique hostels. Many houses have been also adapted to studios of designers and hubs of creative minds where tons of positive energy are produced for this dynamic district. Selected areas in Ari-Pradipat now becomes one of Bangkok Design Week 2020 showcase venues where challenges of the district are discussed and resolved with design thinking. The works of creators are curated as inspirations and movement in which the old and new about this environment will be revealed.
Ari-Pradipat: District strategy
- Spatial data: Ari-Pradipat is adjoining district paralleled with 2 major roads; Phahonyothin Rd. and Rama VI Rd. The use of land ratio shows 70% is residential areas while offices and government properties share the rest.
- Accessibility: Phahonyothin road is a major route connecting BKK mass transit point; Victory Monument on through Rangsit, the outskirts of the city. The route serves various important transit systems including BTS skytrain ply along Ari and Saphan Khwai stations which makes this district accessible and lively.
- Industries in demand 1. Food; restaurant and café 38% 2. Architecture 15.20% 3. Traditional Thai medicine 11.20% 4. Design 8.00%
The next move of Ari-PradipatDo we deserve the best environment we live in? If yes, this requires the collaboration from each of us to make a better place. Apart from being a living place of various skillful population, Ari-Pradipat is such an area with potential of creative district. Yet, it needs serious works with knowledge and networking. What else should be other challenges of the district? Once Ari-Pradipat opens widely for food business, the area is filled with visitors coming in for restaurants, crafted café, and street food. This livelihood also draws people’s attentions about food waste, packaging alternatives, and infrastructures supporting their walkable neighborhood.
Let’s talk about “Designer Village” in town “33 Space”, located in Soi Pradipat 17, presents groups of buildings ranging from high rise to studio-style apartment. The gathering of these white buildings with lots of window glasses makes the 33 Space looked like a small village for designers of 57 studios started with architecture, and expanded into graphic design, print media, Data Science IT, Service Design, and application developing. Living here more than a decade, 33 Space is not just a fashion thing, yet a potential place for people working for their creative.
“Designer Village” will open the gate for those who crave for visiting and joining all creative activities in Bangkok Design Week 2020. Get ready to explore the developing of Ari-Pradipat district, a place for sustainability and a genuine living space for locals.
What to do in Ari-Pradipat ?For those who would like to visit Ari-Pradipat district during Bangkok Design Week 2020, or become a future family in the district should go through these following 3 main activities; “work, eat, commute”.
1. WorkLearn how young creators in the district manage their data collecting via online platform called “Tinker Potform”. With this index, designers will be able to identify location, and processes of the activities happen in the studied area. They can then figure out how to seek for collaboration and how to communicate with others through these data and report. So, will you come & join studios visiting in “Open Pot” activity?
2. EatThere are over 300 café, restaurants, and street food vendor surrounded this district. Apart from food hunting mission, you will join the “Eats Meet Waste” project with local designers about designing processes and tools to turn Ari-Pradipat into Zero Waste District. If you are the one who cares for the living, you can’t miss it.
3. CommuteSuch an excited project simulating public transportation riding; motorbike, Tuk-tuk, and mini taxi-bus (two-row seat bus) at Soi Ari 1. Forget all difficulties you’ve faced within Soi Ari road and alley, let’s try the alternative vehicle like scooter. Sounds great for café hopping? Not every city is our home, yet it matters much more. Come around and see your neighbors to make you live better. See you in Ari-Pradipat district, February 1-9, 2020. For more information: Tinkering Pot
#CreativeDistrictofBKKDW #BangkokCityOfDesign #BKKDW2020
Let us say THANKS!
Let us say THANKS! to you all who make Bangkok Design Week 2020 complete & being a part of positive power to drive Bangkok better together. See you again Bangkok Design Week 2021 30 JAN – 7 FEB 2021 #BKKDW2020 #BKKDW2021 #Bangkokdesignweek